Saturday, January 15, 2011

Rant on Kids' TV

I was sick this weekend, which basically meant nothing but watching TV. I noticed that a lot of children's shows today don't have the same feeling they used to. I feel like kids' TV is caught in a downward spiral. Nick is doing sitcoms, Disney is clinging to whatever fans they still have. Though, I am fairly impressed with Cartoon Network. After a long series of disappointments, I think Cartoon Network is getting better programming. I love Adventure Time, it reminds me of the nonsense cartoons I used to watch as a kid. I like the Regular Show too. Both of these shows are funny to kids, but entertaining to older kids and adults, having many jokes that often go over the younger viewers' heads. It reminds me a lot of how Dexter's Lab used to be, like how you could watch it as a kid and find the slapstick funny, but watch it as you got older, and understand the jokes more.

Unfortunately, Cartoon Network doesn't make up for everything. But, there is HUB. It is a TV station that shows many shows from my childhood and even some from before. Today, I watched Men In Black: The series, Batman: Beyond, and an original show called Dan vs. I found Dan vs. quite amusing because of it's adult humor, but not crude, but more intellectual, while also having a silly premise. While much of the humor is nonsensical and slapstick, it also has several real life jokes, such as that one friend you have that is always a jerk and is totally pessimistic and antagonistic. It also has jokes about things like life after marriage.

Unfortunately, there aren't many of these types of shows anymore. I think that the current generation of kids is missing out on a lot of what made kids' lives in my generation so special. There are also many old TV shows being revived. Dragon Ball Z Kai is a good example. They try to remake a great show for a newer generation. Although, I don't think it has the same feel as the old one did (stupid Blue Popo). Then there are the shows that don't need to be revived because they refuse to die in the first place *cough*pokemon*cough*

I hope the state of kids' TV changes for the better soon.

1 comment: